Cocoa PEBBLES™ Shortbread Cookies
Flecked with Cocoa PEBBLES™ Cereal, these buttery shortbread cookies will melt in your mouth.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Makes: 3 dozen
- 3 cups (750 mL) Cocoa PEBBLES™ Cereal
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) icing sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) Cocoa PEBBLES™ Cereal, divided
- Using electric mixer, beat butter, icing sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla and salt for about 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Mix in flour just until combined; fold in 1/2 cup (125 mL) cereal.
- Divide dough in half; shape each portion into two logs, about 4 inches (10 cm) long and 1 1/2 inches (4 cm) in diameter. Wrap each log in plastic wrap; refrigerate for about 1 hour or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Cut each log into 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick slices; place about 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart on prepared baking sheets. Top with remaining cereal; press gently to adhere to dough.
- Bake in batches for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly golden on the bottom. Let cool completely on rack.
- Alternatively, roll out dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper into 1/4-inch (5 mm) thickness. Use holiday cookie cutters to cut shortbread into festive shapes.
- For a chocolate-mint variation, substitute mint extract for vanilla extract.