Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Loaf
This loaf, packed with blueberries and Shredded Wheat Crumbs, is wholesome enough for breakfast but makes a great anytime treat as well!
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Shredded Wheat Crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups + 1 tbsp (390 mL) whole wheat flour, divided
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) canola oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9 x 5-inch (23 x 12.5 cm) loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together Shredded Wheat Crumbs, 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, yogurt, maple syrup, oil, lemon zest and lemon juice. Fold in flour mixture until just combined.
- In a small bowl, toss blueberries with remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) flour. Fold into batter.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan completely on a wire rack.
- Substitute blueberries with sour cherries or cranberries, if desired.
- Make a topping by combining 2 tbsp (30 mL) Shredded Wheat Crumbs, 1 tbsp (15 mL) sugar and 1/2 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon. Sprinkle on top before baking.