Crispy Shredded Wheat Eggplant Parmesan
Healthier than traditional eggplant Parmesan, this bubbling casserole of tender eggplant, tangy marinara sauce and gooey mozzarella couldn’t be better.
- 2 cups (500 mL) Shredded Wheat Crumbs, divided
- 1 medium eggplant, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch (1 cm) slices
- 2 tsp (10 mL) salt, divided
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Italian seasoning, divided
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) pepper, divided
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garlic powder, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) marinara sauce, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 9 x 5-inch (23 x 12.5 cm) loaf pan. Arrange a wire rack over a baking sheet. Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Reserve 1 tbsp (15 mL) Shredded Wheat Crumbs and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss eggplant slices with 1 tsp (5 mL) salt. Transfer eggplant slices to the prepared wire rack; avoid overlapping. Let stand for 30 minutes, until water forms on surface of eggplant slices. Use paper towels to dry both sides.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together remaining Shredded Wheat Crumbs, Parmesan, parsley, 1 tsp (5 mL) Italian seasoning, 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt, 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) garlic powder. In a second medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, 1 tsp (5 mL) Italian seasoning, 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt, 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) garlic powder. In a third medium bowl, whisk together flour, 1 tsp (5 mL) Italian seasoning, 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt, the remaining 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper and the remaining 1/2 tsp (2 mL) garlic powder.
- In batches, dip eggplant slices into flour mixture, then egg mixture and then coat in Shredded Wheat mixture.
- In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, add 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil. In batches to avoid crowding, fry battered eggplant for 4 to 6 minutes, turning once, until crispy and golden. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt onto fried eggplant slices. Let cool slightly.
- Assembly: Spread 1/2 cup (125 mL) marinara sauce over bottom of prepared loaf pan. Top with one-third of eggplant slices, another 1/2 cup (125 mL) marinara sauce and one-third of mozzarella. Repeat with remaining eggplant, marinara and mozzarella.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is golden. Sprinkle remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) Shredded Wheat Crumbs onto cheese and broil for 5 minutes or until golden and crispy. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Instead of pan-frying in Step 5, bake coated eggplant slices in a 400°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes turning once, until golden and tender. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt. Proceed with the recipe.