Dark Chocolate and Cherry Shredded Wheat Crumbs
Juicy sweet cherries with a crisp Shredded Wheat Crumbs topping and drizzled with rich dark chocolate — could life get any better?!
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Shredded Wheat Crumbs
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) cane sugar, divided
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) pitted cherries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 tbsp (7 mL) lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped dark chocolate (2 oz)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease three 3/4-cup (175 mL) ovenproof bowls or ramekins. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine Shredded Wheat Crumbs, 2 tbsp (30 mL) cane sugar and butter, mixing until crumbs form. Chill in refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together cherries, remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) cane sugar, lemon juice and vanilla. Transfer to prepared ramekins and top evenly with Shredded Wheat mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbling. Let cool 10 minutes on a wire rack.
- Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl and microwave on HIGH, stirring every 30 seconds, for 1 to 2 minutes or until melted. Drizzle over crumbs before serving.
- Replace butter with coconut oil for a vegan alternative.
- Serve warm with ice cream, if desired.