Blueberry Crumble Bars
Made with wild blueberries and Honey Shreddies, this tasty bar makes a healthy treat for dessert or snacking.
2 1/2 cups (625 mL) Honey Shreddies, divided
1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
2/3 cup (150 mL) packed brown sugar, divided
1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, cold
2 cups (500 mL) wild blueberries
2 tbsp (30 mL) cornstarch
2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cinnamon
- Finely crush 2 cups (500 mL) of the Honey Shreddies; place in large bowl along with flour and half of the sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Reserve 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the crumble; set aside.
- Line 8-inch (20 cm) square baking dish with enough parchment paper to overhang edges. Press remaining crumble into prepared baking dish; set aside.
- Stir together blueberries, remaining sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and cinnamon. Let stand for 15 minutes. Pour filling over crust.
- With fingertips, combine remaining Honey Shreddies and reserved crumble, crushing lightly to incorporate cereal. Sprinkle over filling.
- Bake in preheated 350˚F (180˚C) oven for 40 to 60 minutes or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbling. Let cool completely. Remove from pan and cut into 8 bars. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Tip: If using frozen blueberries, do not thaw beforehand; adjust bake time as needed.